20. Abdullah, L., Valdez, D., Blanco-Elorrieta, E., ¿Cómo qué, cómo qué? cómo qué?” Single-language echolalia in a bilingual female with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy: A case report.
19. Zhu, J., Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Sun, Y., Szakay, A, & Sowman, P. (2022). Natural vs forced language switching: free selection and consistent choices eliminate significant performance costs and cognitive demands in the brain.Neuroimage 247, (2022): 118797 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2021.118797
18. Blanco-Elorrieta, E.*, Hauptman, M.*, & Pylkkänen, L. (2021). Inflection across categories: Tracking abstract morphological processingin language production with MEG. Cerebral Cortex, 309 https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhab309
17. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., & Caramazza, A., (2021). On the need of theoretically guided approaches to possible bilingual advantages: an evaluation of the potential loci in the language and executive control systems. Neurobiology of language , 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1162/nol_a_00041
16. Honari-Jahromi, M., Chouinard, B., Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Pylkkänen, L., & Fyshe, A., (2021). Neural representation of words within phrases: Temporal evolution of color-adjectives and object-nouns during simple composition. Plos One , 16.3 (2021): e0242754. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0242754 [pdf]
15. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., & Caramazza, A. (2021). A common selection mechanism at each linguistic level in bilingual and monolingual language production.Cognition 104625. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2021.104625 [pdf]
14. Blanco-Elorrieta, E.*, Gwilliams, L.*, Marantz, A., & Pylkkänen, L. (2020). Adaptation to mis-pronounced speech: evidence for a prefrontal-cortex repair mechanism. Nature Scientific Reports, 11, 97(2011) doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79640-0 [pdf]
13. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Ding, N., Pylkkänen, L., & Poeppel, D. (2020). Understanding requires tracking: Noise and knowledge interact in bilingual language comprehension.Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 32(10), 1975-1983 doi/abs/10.1162/jocn_a_01610 [pdf]
12. Liu, H., Zhang, Y., Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Hea, Y., Chen, B. (2019). Role of proactive control on subcomponents of language control: Evidence from trilinguals. Cognition 194, 104055 doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2019.104055 [pdf]
11. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., & Pylkkänen, L. (2018). Ecological validity in bilingualism research and the bilingual advantage. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 22(12), 1117-1126 doi.org/10.1016/j.tics.2018.10.001 [pdf]
10. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Emmorey, K., & Pylkkänen, L. (2018). Language switching decomposed through MEG and evidence from bimodal bilinguals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115.39 (2018): 9708-9713 doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1809779115 [pdf]
9. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Kastner, I., Emmorey, K., & Pylkkänen, L. (2018). A shared neurobiology for building phrases in signed and spoken language. Scientific Reports 8, 5492 doi:10.1038/s41598-018-23915-0 [pdf]
8. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., Ferreira, S.V., Del Prato, P., & Pylkkänen, L. (2017). The priming of Basic Combinatory Responses in MEG.
Cognition 70, 49-63 doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2017.09.010 [pdf]
7. Fyshe, A., Blanco-Elorrieta, E. & Pylkkänen, L. (2017). The neural representation of concepts during composition. Cognitive Computational Neuroscience (CCN) [pdf]
6. Blanco-Elorrieta, E. Emmorey, K., & Pylkkänen, L. (2017). Decoding Language Switching in the Bilingual Brain: evidence from simultaneous speech and sign production. Cognitive Computational Neuroscience (CCN) [pdf]
5. Blanco-Elorrieta, E., & Pylkkänen, L. (2017). Bilingual language switching in the lab vs. in the wild: The spatio-temporal dynamics of adaptive language control. The Journal of Neuroscience, 37(37), 9022-9036 doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0553-17.2017 [pdf]
4. Blanco-Elorrieta, E. & Pylkkänen, L. (2016). Bilingual language control in perception vs. action:
MEG reveals comprehension control mechanisms in anterior cingulate cortex and domain-general production control in dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 36(2): 290-301 doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2597-15.2016 [pdf]
3. Blanco-Elorrieta, E. & Pylkkänen, L. (2015). Composition of complex numbers: Delineating the computational role of the left anterior temporal lobe. NeuroImage 124(Pt A):194-203doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.08.049 [pdf]
2. Blanco Elorrieta, E. & Pylkkänen, L. (2015). Brain bases of language selection: MEG evidence from Arabic-English bilingual language production. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9:27 doi:10.3389/fnhum.2015.00027 [pdf]
1. Pylkkänen, L., Bemis, D.K., & Blanco-Elorrieta, E. (2014). Building phrases in language production: An MEG study of simple composition. Cognition , 133, 371-384 doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2014.07.001 [pdf]
2021: Cognitive Science Society: Glushko Dissertation award.
2021: NYU-wide Outstanding Dissertation award.
2021: GSAS Outstanding Dissertation award.
2020: Ben Barres Fellowship.
2020: Coons/Leibowitz Graduate Student Teaching Award.
2019: Forbes magazine: 30 under 30 in Science.
2019: Martin Braine Dissertation fellowship in Psychology.
2018: The Dingwall Foundation: Dissertation Fellowship in the Cognitive, Clinical, and Neural Foundations of Language.
2018: New York University: Dean's Student travel award.
2017: Society of the Neurobiology of Language predoctoral fellow merit award.
2017: Woodcock Institute Grant Research Award.
2016: Helmsley Fellowship for cross-disciplinary research.
2016: New York University: Dean's Student Travel Grant.
2015: Neurobiology of Language Conference: Travel Award.
2015: MacCracken Fellowship for Doctoral studies.
2014: La Caixa Foundation: fellowship for Graduate Studies in North America (4% success rate).
2012: Basque Center on Cognition, Brain and Language: academic merit scholarship.
2011: Basque Government: fellowship for undergraduate research projects.
2010: University of Deusto: grant for undergraduate research projects.
2008: Basque Government: Distinguished Academic scholarship.
2023: Interview on La mecanica del Caracol Science radio program (available here, in Spanish).
2023: Interview on language evolution in El Diario Vasco newspaper (available here, in Spanish).
2023: 'De ondas de sonido a significado: como procesa nuestro cerebro los idiomas’. Scientific Divulgation Talk at the University of the Basque Country.
2023: Interview on the bilingual brain in Berria newspaper (available here, in Basque).
2023: Radio program at EITB discussing the bilingual brain (available here in Spanish).
2023: Podcast episode on the psychology, neuroscience and philosophy of multilingualism (available here, in English).
2023: ‘How Does the Bilingual Brain Process Language?’ Public talk at NYUAD Institute. (available here, in English).
2023: ‘Como funciona el cerebro bilingüe?’ Talk at San Telmo Museum in San Sebastian. (available here, in Spanish).
2022: TV Interview on the effects on multilingualism on the brain for EITB (available here, in Basque).
2022: Interview on multilingualism, language politics and science in El Español newspaper (available here, in Spanish).
2021: Panelist and Organizer, Early Career Event, Society for the Neurobiology of Language.
2021: Speaker, Doctoral Student Welcome Event, New York University.
2021: TED in Spanish Podcast episode (available here, in Spanish).
2021: Interview in Archiletras bi-monthly scientific magazine (available here, in Spanish).
2021: Baipasa: weekly contribution to science radio program (available here in Basque).
2020: Interview in a TV episode of ‘The brain hunter’ (available here in Spanish).
2020: TED Talk in Spain, 2020 (available here, in Spanish).
2020: Interview on the multilingual brain in Onda Cero radio. Available here in Spanish (minute 26 onwards).
2020: Interview on the architecture of the multilingual brain in RTVE Spanish national radio. Available here
2019: ‘How to build a career in Science’ panelist; Young Leaders of the America Initiative (YLAI).
2019: Coverage of my multilingualism research in the Inspire series by Euronews (available here in English).
2022: Intersectional Experiences in Academia Workshop at the University of Oslo: Panelist.
2021: Spanish ministry for Gender Equality: advisory committee for gender equality policy.
2021: ‘Identity, language, and the future’ Twitch interview for ‘The Future Game’ (available here, in Basque).
2021: Bayer pharmaceutical Latin-American branch: Pride event panelist.
2021: ‘Non-binary’ feature documentary on trans experience (available here, English subtitles).
2020: ELA Basque Trade Union: Pride event panelist.
2020: National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals: Speaker, career panel.
2020: Harvard Women in STEM Initiative, Mentor.
2019: The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center: Panelist, ‘Being trans in Academia’.
2023: Newspaper interview at Diario Vasco on language (available here, in Spanish.
2023: Radio interview at Radio Vitoria on how the human brain processes language (available here, in Spanish).
2023: Interview on Nius Diario newspaper on the myths around bilingualsim and the brain. Available here, in Spanish.
2023: Interview in The New York Times on bilingualism and aging. Available here, in English.
2023: Interview in Berria newspaper on the bilingual brain. Available here, in Basque.
2023: Interview in ARGIA magazine on the bilingual brain. Available here, in Basque.
Coverage of my research and inclusion in the Forbes 30 under 30 list
2020: ‘Bilingual individuals’ interview in El Pais newspaper. Available here in Spanish.
2020: Genious of a thousand languages interview in Deia newspaper. Available here in Spanish
2020: Interview on the Neurobiology of multilingualism in radio COPE. Available here in Spanish (minute 20 onwards).
2020: Interview in EITB Basque national radio 1 hour 9 minute onwards.
International coverage of the Scientific reports article on the shared neural bases of sign and speech
2018: On the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) news. Available here, in English.
2018: On the Italian version of web of science. Available here, in Italian.
2018: Russian N1 news channel's report can be found here, in Russian.
2018: ‘Four amazing discoveries you probably didn’t hear about this week’, NSF podcast. Available here, in English).
Coverage of the Journal of Neuroscience article on language switching in different conversational scenarios
On Science Daily: Is changing languages effortful for bilingual speakers? Depends on the situation
On Lukor magazine: Chatting makes it easier to switch between languages
On Science Codex: Is changing languages effortful for bilingual speakers?
On Health News Digest: Is Changing Languages Effortful for Bilingual Speakers?
On Gears of Biz: Is changing languages effortful for bilingual speakers? Depends on the situation
On Futurity news: Chatting makes it easy to switch languages
Coverage of my paper in the Journal of Neuroscience on language switching in perception vs. action.
The press release from NYUAD can be found here.
An article in the The Gulf Today: Bilingual brains more focused, reveals NYU Abu Dhabi research
An article in Khaleej times: Bilinguals are smarter than you think
An article in The National: Abu Dhabi study sheds new light on benefits of children being bilingual
An article in ZAWYA: NYU Abu Dhabi researchers reveal workings of the bilingual brain
An article in United Arab Emirates News Agency: NYU Abu Dhabi researchers reveal workings of the bilingual brain
An article in MSN News: NYU Abu Dhabi study shows becoming bilingual depends on the brain
Multidimensional Scaling (MDS)
You can download an annotated sample code for an MDS analysis of US cities here
You can download an annotated sample code for a k-means analysis here
Linear classification analysis
You can download an annotated sample code for a linear classification analysis here
The data is available here
The labels are available here